Hard starting / Spark plug wires

I'm still trying to get the bugs worked out of this 87 16V I took over
recently.  The most frustrating thing with it is that it only starts
when it wants to and hardly ever on the first turn.  This morning I had
to crank it 10 times before it finally decided to start.  It doesn't
seem to matter if the car is cold or already warmed up.  Sometimes it
will start, but other times I end up killing the battery trying to get
it to start.  Strangely, a lot of times it will start when the battery
is real weak and the starter is barely cranking.  I started simple and
swapped out the spark plugs yesterday with the Bosch OEM 3-prong plugs
(non-platinum).  It seemed to start quicker that day, but now it's back
to its old routine.  The car runs MUCH stronger due to the old plugs
being completely trashed (missing electrode on #3 plug).  I've thought
of replacing the cold start valve off my other motor, but I'm not too
sure this is the problem since it seems to act up when warm too.  Any
ideas?

I priced some spark plug wires yesterday.  Anyone ever hear of Magnacore
(sp?) plugs?  They are $106 for the set and are 8.5 mm.  Worth it?
Another strange thing is that the place who quoted me 106 for the
Magnacore claim that the OEM wires are $160.  The dealer quoted me $85
for the OEM 7mm Bosch wires.  WTF?  Is the dealer misquoting me again?

Mike