Re: how is this setup

Shawn,

Your plan is good, but definitely look at the rule book before you commit to
anything.  BTW, you will be in FSP.  The classes changed this last year.

You definitely cannot use a GTI head for this class.  The street prepared
rule is that you have to use engines or transmissions as a unit.  Meaning
you cannot pick and chose final drives (for the tranny) or heads that were
not originally with the block.  You can rebuild your motor, but you cannot
do headwork other than shaving to minimum height, replacing valve seats,
etc.  So you have to use a head that came with a JH motor.

WRT to the tranny, if you are going to rebuild it I would highly recommend
putting a Quaife in it instead of the Peloquin diff kit.  The Quaife is
expensive, but it is worth it.  Save up for it and buy one when there is a
group buy.  I think at one point this summer Quaifes could be had for $650.

Stress bars will make your car last longer.  I wouldn't autocross without
them on.  As for the springs, H&R's are really good and they don't cost that
much through the Potterman.  H&R used to make Neuspeed's springs, but
Neuspeed is buying from someone else these days.

What size tire are you autocrossing on before you get the 13x8's?  Hoosiers
are good tires, but they have some drawbacks.  They are expensive.  They do
not last long.  They need very exact conditions to work well.  On this last
point, I do not have experience driving on Hoosiers, but I have heard others
talking of how you really need to warm them up and I think you need tons
(>40psi) of air pressure for them to work.  I would recommend starting with
a Kuhmo or BFG R1 until you are a serious competitor.  I think that learning
how to autocross on Hoosiers is a waste of money.  You will not get the full
benefit of the tires because you will not know how to drive them, but you
will spend a wad of cash.  What you want is a tire that will hold up to a
lot of practicing.  The Hoosier will quickly disappear.  I think people are
getting something on the order of 50 runs per set of Hoosiers and 150 on a
set of R1's.  That's a huge difference especially if you are doing a lot of
practices where you might get more than 10 runs.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition

From: Shawn Rader <s_t_rader@excite.com>

hello list,

Ok, here's the story.  I got a Cosmo Silver 1981 Scirocco S.  I plan to
start autocrossing it this year in the street prepared DSP class. Before I
start shelling out a ton of money on parts I want to get some of your
opinions on my plan for the car.  So here it is:

So far I have:
-rear swaybar from a scirocco 16V
-throttle body from an Audi 5000
-Bosch triple electrode copper plugs
-80mm airflow sensor
-ported intake manifold

Next I'm going to be getting:
-Autotech upper, lower, and rear stress bars
-Techtonics 2" exhaust with Ultraflo SS muffler
-blue ignitor plug wires
-Scirocco 16V air box

After that:
-Neuspeed Race Springs
-Koni Sport adjustable shock absorbers
-Polyurathane suspension bushings
-Ferodo pads on the front and drum shoes on the rear
-9.4" vented rotors on the front
-move the battery to the back

then...
-13x8 lightweight rims with Hoosier Radial 225/50/13 for autocross
-stock rim/tire size for street

finally...
-balanced and bored 1.8L JH block
-Techtonics 1.8L GTI cylinder head
-rebuilt close ratio trans
-velocity differential kit

and to complete the project..
-new paint with shaved side markers, trim, and antenna

   I would like to hear from some people who have had experience with the
Neuspeed race springs.  I plan on using this car as my daily driver.  I
assume the race springs would be tolerable on the street with stock
wheel/tire sizes, Koni's set on the soft setting, no front sway-bar, and a
small rear bar.  Our roads here (Oregon) are pretty good, and those that
aren't so good are avoidable.  Most of my driving with be on the highway.
I'd also like to hear from anyone who has ordered the Techtonics 1.8L head
from their catalog.  Is it any different than stock?  Is it legal in DSP?
   You'll also noticed I planned out my upgrades in stages, starting with
those that I think are the most important and cost effective.  I'd like to
get some input as to which upgrades I should perform first.  Right now I
plan on autocrossing it as soon as I get the stress bars and exhaust
installed.

-Shawn Rader
'81 Rocco S