Re: Coolant Loss

One other but probably not too likely problem is that your water pump is
leaking and it is dripping on your power steering bracket. The engine heat
will evaporate some coolante so you might not be able to see the leak very
easily. Maybe you could call a local shop and see if they have a coolant
pressure tester that they would use on your car. If thye do and you are
willing; take the car there and watch them (very carefully). Ask them to
install the pressure tester and run your engine until the radiator fan comes
on. If the pressure reading on the tester ever gets higher than 13PSI then
you know you have a leaky headgasket. Also have them pump the pressure on
the tester to about 20 PSI. This will instantly show whatever leaks you may
have. Keep in mind; do not try this if your coolant hoses look old and oil
soaked or if you radiator shows signs of leakage. This test will tell you
everything that is vulnerable in your coolant system. Although it will
probably make the leaks worse. weigh it carefully. If you have a shop that
you trust and know the tech then take it there. I fyou dont use a shop then
dont have them do that last test. Maybe you could rent the tool from them
and use it at home. Just a thought...

>    I agree with Randy and Mike's checks, especially check to see if your
>oil
>is foamy (looks like instant hot cocoa) or has the level risen according to
>coolant loss?
>   [ Pause while I flashback to dislodging a piston from it's cylinder in a
>Jaguar 12-cyl...gah!]
>   Another approach, does your car have AC? If so and the heater core is
>leaking, then you would find coolant dripping about the middle of the car,
>near the tunnel. Look under there, then check the motor. As soon as
>possible!
>
>Carl
>77rocco
>89fox