[TECH]: Update: timing belt fixed, car runnin dandy; mixture questions now

FINALLY!
recap: after replacing my busted timing belt, and surprisingly getting fantastic compression, my car ran ok up until 4-5000 rpm, when it would buck and misbehave. turns out that i set the initial timing to my timing mark on the bellhousing instead of TDC (doh!). fixed that, same symptoms, except now they occurred at <4k rpm. after more mucking around, i noticed 1) a loose wire on my hall sender, and 2) timing possibly too far advanced. reset the timing, fixed the wire, and my car is now running better than before. tried to set the mixture, but couldn't find a long enough allan wrench. maybe next weekend. i did measure current at the dpr; it was bouncing b/t 10-12 ma, 1-2hz. i know it's supposed to fluctuate, but i don't know about HOW it's supposed to fluctuate; is that right? also, i've seen it suggested to run a richer mixture (~5 ma). any thoughts? one last thought: i didn't see it in bentley, but would it be better to check the output from the o2 sensor, and adjust mixture from there? it seems like that would more directly measure exhaust gas, rather than getting the signal after it goes through the computer... tia,
-michael
88 rocco 16v