More on CIS Fuel problems/questions

OK,....let me see if I understand this correctly and you guys and gals tell
me where I might have strayed.  (Car in question is 78 CIS Scirocco :~)  If
the fuel pump is running, and you take the braided hose from the fuel filter
and fuel comes gushing out....the fuel pump is *at least* pumping.  If I
pull an injector and *don't* lift the air sensor plate....should fuel spray
from the injector.  My understanding is NO.  If it does,...then either the
injector is bad...i.e.. not able to withstand pressure from the fuel
distributor OR the fuel pump isn't able to "pump" fuel with enough pressure
behind it.....OR the fuel pressure regulator isn't able to put enough
"control" pressure on the control plunger allowing the plunger to rise
releasing fuel into the fuel lines and out of the injectors.  I really doubt
that all my injectors went bad at the same time?  (not that it couldn't
happen?)  Plus,...all the cold start injector diagnosis from the Bentley's
and the FAQ from .org test fine.......but still I have no fuel coming from
the cold start valve.  hmmm?  Something tells me that the fuel pump is
dying...(does seem a bit more loud than either of the two on my 16v's)  But
the bolts on the FPR are a bit worn like they have been taken off a time or
two......which leads to the other guess......Anyone tell me if my thinking
is close or at least on the right track here.  BTW,...I picked up the BOSCH
FI book last night........very insightful.....but I could get more from it
if I had a working fuel distributor.
Thanks,
Chris