Alternator problem?

On my way home last night I noticed that the lights were slowly getting
dimmer and the wipers were very slow - had to switch everything off and
drive 20 miles, in the dark,  on sidelights (not to be recommended!) - only
just made it home before the battery ran out. The battery warning light
didn't show at any point. Gave it an hour on the charger and it started
fine. Stopped it and metered the battery: a bit below 12v - to be expected
on a partial recharge. Started the engine and metered again - 12.2V, dipping
to under 12V when revved.  It appears to be giving a partial charge -
leaving it to idle with all electrics switched off (load=fuel
pumps+ignition), the voltage crept up by 0.5V after a few minutes.  Is this
likely to be a faulty regulator in the alternator/worn brushes or something
else - blown diodes in the alternator / faulty voltage stabiliser /
something else.  I've got a new regulator but haven't tried it yet. Any
ideas?

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins
'85 Storm 2.0