RE: [eng.] Oil filter Q and misc. lube

Earlier posts said something about FRAM oil filters falling apart and
letting filter particles run through the engine. Admitedly I've been running
thier Tuf Guard for years now. I'm of the school of thought that while OEM
filters are good, the higher priced (as opposed to cheaper) aftermarket
filters are better in that the mfr will get what they can that's cheap to
procure, as effective as aftermarket filters or worse, with a higher price
tag. So my question is, are the VW OEM oil filters better, or is there a
better aftermarket filter?  Is there an online report of comparisons?
I use Mann oil filters, they are $3.50 each from Adirondack.

Also, what's a good lube for the speedo cable? Previous experience: gear lube- look, barely moves;
WD-40 -quiet..nope, it's back.  Should I just get a
syringe and drip motor oil in? ATF?
I wouldn't use engine oil...

Lithium grease works great, in a spray can or tube...

Peter