Current Problems:
Date: 2/23/2001 1:19 PM
Mail from eGroups.com is currently blocked, as the eGroups
servers have been sending a huge amount of unsolicited email to
Road Runner customers, nationwide. Only eGroups can fix this issue,
as it is caused by the quantity of junk mail they are sending us.
Egroups may be reached by emailing abuse@egroups.com, or by phone at
408-530-5062.
----------------

Let me reiterate:  We (the group as a whole, and a trusted individual
specifically) should always run the list, the site, and own the machines.
There does not need to be any more discussion on this, please.  If it's
something important to you (us) then keep as much control of it as you
(we) can.  There is no compelling reason not to control our own
list, site, and servers if some member of the list has the abilities,
the time and a little money.

* I already have a machine to host the mailing list and web site.  I
am already paying for cable access.  If this is not enough bandwidth
(384 up, 1 down), I am prepared to purchase more.  I have already paid
into a dynamic dns service.  I am participating beta test for new
features with that service so I can move registered host names on top
of the dynamic ip.  Static ip is best, but expensive.  I have also
explored colocation, but the first one I approached was way too much
money.

* Neither the site nor the list is in any immediate danger of being
shut down at the moment.

* I will create a budget given several options on additional hardware,
bandwidth, and static vs dynamic ip.  We'll talk about list member
support ideas after I generate some figures.  This stuff takes time.
This will also involve probably setting up some sort of possible
contribution scheme so that I might be able to purchase more storage,
bandwidth, or even afford colocation, which seems to be alright with
most people here...appreciate it very much.

If anyone has any specific questions about any of this, please feel
free to contact me directly off list.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net