Mk 1 rear axle beam replacement

I'm having a bit of a problem getting my rear axle to line up properly upon
reinstallation.  Can anyone offer some pointer or shed some light as to what
I may be doing wrong?  I can get three out of four nuts on to the studs, but
one is just a hair off.  Pertininent info is as follows:

-Used axle beam from an '87 16V(looks straight by eye)
-Delrin axle bushings form BSI
-New bolts holding the bushing carrier to the axle
-Bushing carriers from the '79(they didn't come off the axle I'm putting in,
but did come of the car I'm trying to put it all back it)

-This car had been in a "spin-out" type of collision before I bought it.
The old axle was slightly bent.  Could this have caused the studs to be just
a little out of whack?

Thanks,
Ben R
'79 Scirocco 1.8 16v, with no suspension at all
'86.5 Quantum Syncro Wagon
'00 Suzuki SV 650