Re: "I want to buy you Car syndrome.... share a tale..?"

Heh, some of you guys know this story, happened to me early last summer.

I was using an ATM in town with the Scirocco parked conveniently on the
sidewalk next to me.  Some guy walks over as I'm walking back to the car
and says "Hey, how much for the Scirocco?"

"It's not for sale."

"Oh come on, I'll give you $8000 cash for it."

"Sorry bud, it's not for sale"...

"$9000?"

"Nope."

"$10,000 on a certified bank check tomorrow."

"Sorry, it's not for sale..."

<getting nasty>.  "Fine, then $12,000, you'd be crazy to say no."

"Call me crazy, but I told you the car is not for sale, period."

The guy got really pissed... I just laughed at him.  "I'm offering you,
what, 3 or 4 times what the car is worth!  You'll never get that much money
from someone else for that old thing"...

And my now-classic response: "Dude, you could offer me one HUNDRED twelve
thousand for the car, and it's not going to change anything, the car isn't
going anywhere.  It is not for sale"...

And I drove away.

Let's not discuss how many open offers I have on the 190, though. :)

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org