Re: [Ign. ?] MSD for street use, which should I go for?

In a message dated 2/24/01 11:39:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brett@netacc.net writes:

<<
 As for swapping out the coil, or using a Jacobs system, I've never
 heard anything definitive that they actually would improve your power...
 more so then just swapping in a new stock coil (if the old one was
 failing).  The testimonials and claims made by such devices sure
 seem compelling though, eh? :-)  >>

   Now I wish I'd kept the smog test results from my Buick (yes, I'm aware
it's a different vehicle, but other than twice as many cyl's and a few more
litres, basically same principle), as it went from a nasty 300
ppm/hydrocarbon, 12 MPG beast with factory points ign. w/ new stock voltage
coil, distr. and timing chain (specs after tune-up), to a mid 60's ppm (@2K
RPM, 13-15 idle), 17MPG (@ 60mph) beast with an HEI ign. from a '74 GM (orig
coil & dist, w/ later spec plugs) and MSD Blaster module, readings taken 6 to
8 months after installation. Also, if I'd given it any thought i.e.: made it
look "scientific" and wrote down things like warm-up times before and after
(BIG difference!), 1/4 mi. or 0-60 times had I access to a dragstrip at the
time, that I only had to start it once instead of many times in the dead of a
High Sierra winter. Finally, even though my friends and I LIKED this, no more
belching fire out the side pipes when rolling downhill or to a stop. In other
words, more of the fuel was being burned in the chamber instead of out the
pipe (timing didn't make any difference with stock ign., I tried!).
  Think of the benefits going from my '77's stock ign. to a hall effect
dist/knock sens. and hotter coil (40K volts). This time I'll take notes as I
go along.
    Just what I can say from my own experience, but my question still stands;
which would be better suited to the 4-cyl, MSD's 5a or 6a?

Carl
77rocco(guinea pig-to-be)
89fox