[A2 Tech] Transfer Pump Diagnosis

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:22:13 -0800 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> writes:

> Car is an 86 GTI, but I think the fuel system is the same as later
> Sciroccos so lets just pretend, shall we?  Besides lots of this car
> are going into the Roc eventually so....
>
> I am getting hesitation when running but don't yet have a Bentley to
> cover this knock sensor based engine management system. Other than
> tourquing it to the right spec is there any way to determine if I am
> getting the e timing backed down? Or that there isn't enough fuel.
> Hmmmm.

Like Chris said, check the fuel distributor inlet's banjou bolt.
Laurie's '86 GLi had over 126K on it, and it turned out that the screened
bolt
that was supposed to be removed at the first service, was still there.
I drilled it out and cleaned it with carb cleaner, and it fixed the
hesitation problem.

> I know there is trouble when I have one o r two gallons in the tank
> and take a hard turn it cuts out temporally, and if stuck in a fast
food
> line the pump makes noise and cuts off the car.

If it only happens when it is low on gas, I would suspect that the
pickup/screen
came off of the transfer pump.
When I stripped the '86 GLi, I noticed that the pickup/screen was not on
the fuel pump.
It would occasionally buck when it was into the red, and when going fast
around long sweeping turns.

Pull the transfer pump out and check it.

If you don't have a large channel lock, I used a large oil filter end cap
wrench,
the type that fits the end of the oil filter, to get the threade plastic
retaining ring off.

Btw, it is really bad for the transfer fuel pump to run on one or two
gallons.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"