Re: Shipping from Canada

At 4:12 PM -0800 2/24/01, BHonnold wrote:
>I have a line on some parts at a great price but I have to pay shipping from
>Eastern Canada and the dude with the parts has no clue the best way to ship
>them to me.
>
>Could one of you guys/gals tell me the best/cheapest shipping company or way
>to do this?
>
>Brian Honnold

It really depends on the size of the shipment, and the urgency in getting
it down to you.  The easiest way to ship it would be to send it through the
mail.  That's also the cheapest way to do it, provided the shipment isn't
bigger than one box or worth a lot of money.  Unfortunately it's also the
slowest and the least reliable way to do it.  Option 2 is to ship via UPS.
This gives you a reasonable delivery time, plus gives you tracking numbers,
etc.  It's also fairly cheap, until the parts get to your door and you get
hit with a "brokerage fee" that is absolutely atrocious.  That's why I
don't recommend using UPS standard.  I believe if you ship UPS Express or
Express Saver you won't get hit with the brokerage fee, but you will of
course be paying for an air shipment.  UPS also uses dimensional weights,
so if you're shipping something bulky you'll get hosed.  Option 3 is FedEx.
It's pricey but they have a 3-day service that isn't tooo bad.  You get a
high level of reliability and again, I think you don't get hit with a
brokerage fee.

BTW duty on auto parts is (if I recall) 4% on used parts over $200US?
Maybe only on shipments from Canada to the States....

HTH!!