RE: [Tech] Warming up

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Langford, Cory wrote:

>    Been there - also Canadian, but not so cold :)  I have found in the
> winter you can run a mk2 (at least around here) with a disconnected
> waterpump and the air cooling keeps it running just fine.  Wouldn't suggest
> idling too long though :)  Solved most of that problem by building a few
> slide in lexan inserts that you can attach to various spots air flows into
> your engine bay.  Keeps the cold air from freezing everything up inside.

I wouldn't reccommend running without a pump for any length of time on any
W/C engine.  Without coolant circulating you're going to end up with
localized hotspots around your combustion chambers and accelerated
wear/predetonation/warped head etc.

Why not just spend the money on an OE thermostat and be done with it?

Drew (84 Wolfsburg with a thermostat!)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca