Re: [Tech] Warming up

>  Chadwick

Well you seem to have 2 different problems

1) the car is not heating up fast

I still have this problem myself in Canada, and I have done change of
radiator(was dead), flush of cooling fluid, change water pump, and heater
core..
when its -20'c outside... its just damn hard for this rocco to warm up. I can
only get 10'c into my car, if I let it sit on the corner of the street for 20
mins idling until
it warms up the cooling system, but once I hit the road... That water temp
needle drops like a rock to the coldest part of the gauge, and I get barely
tepid air.

2) hard to start

Now this I had recentrly problem with, you changed the battery, does the car
turn over? or does it turn over and sputter then spots (and so on and so forth
unto noseaum)?

a) Do you have a Volt Meter or Amp Gauge to see if your Alternator is charging
enough the battery / providing enough power to spark plugs to make proper
ignition with the fuel I had a bad alternator, and hard to start idle was rough
etc etc,, changed the alternator, starts on a half crank now, and no more rough
idle. you can test the alternator once you start your car, turn your heating
fan to "4" while the car idles ~850-1000rom if it dtrop 200rpm, try turning you
headlights now, if it drop again some 200 rpm, your having a power distribution
problem, and your first place to check would be the alternator, most mechanic
can test them in a few minutes. Oh. if you have airconditioning on your Car (I
learn that one the other day) your Alternator is suppoed to be a 90AMPS.

b) check your distributor cap, rotor, I have had one burn out on me, check your
wires for spark, (starting with the ignition coil wire in the middle). could be
one thing, could be a combination of things.

I know none of this is scientific in any mechanical ways (please hold the
flames back) but its my best guesses.

--
Patrick Bureau, pbureau@home.com
'85 Scirocco