[Tech] NO idle and lotsa smoke!

The car in question has plain CIS, Points distributor, and is now starting.
(read other post about no spark from coil......problem found,.....Bad coil)
Here is the new problem.   Now the car turns over pretty well,...and finally
sputters to life.  I really got to give this car gas to keep it running and
I constantly smell fuel.  (like 1/2 to full throttle .....absolutely no
idle)  I do smell fuel when sitting in the car,...and I know there is a
small hole in the exhaust pipe directly under the car,.....so I suppose it
could be from there.   I also *kinda* smell it up by the drivers side
fender,....like maybe the charcoal canister or the fuel distributor itself.
I haven't found any signs of actual leakage.
But the car is smoking horrible.  I would say the smoke is "white",...but it
isn't white like the "steam" white I have when a head gasket goes.  (there
is also all kinds of crap blowing out the tail pipe.....like chunks of
stuff!)    hmmm  This leads me to believe that there is a fuel problem
because of the gas smell,...but also a  pretty big intake
leak.....(unmetered air)   All the rubber boots seem sound so I suspect
maybe the fuel distributor is screwed up.    Does this make sense?
Not sure if there even is one.....I was just thinking that way because I had
to hold the car at nearly full throttle to keep it running.  My thinking was
....."I need more fuel because there was too much air entering the motor. "
On a final note.....I just ran it again a bit ago and after shutting it
off,...some liquid ran out of the air box.  The fluid was heavy enough to
think oil,....but thin enough and smelled of fuel too!    I've had terrible
fuel problems lately with my 78 Scirocco ,......this seems to be the same
fault.  (though I still can't seem to diagnose it)   I did check the intake
tube that goes from the inlet plate boot to the throttle body,....completely
dry!  I *assume* the oil is blow by from the breather tube that connects the
air box with the valve cover,.....but how the heck is fuel getting in there?
(maybe the fuel has mixed with the engine oil?)
Sorry for this *long* note,...but I hope these help you guys to guide me in
the right direction.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris