Re: Unknown transmission scirocco

>From: "derrick" <tyrone27@netzero.net>

>I recently was in a talk about a 1986 VW scirocco I buying next week and I
>friend told me there is a transmission for a scirocco that has no syncros
>in it so u can change gears with out the clutch.

Umm, so what did you wan't to know, if there's a heavy Duty tranny that
lacks the sychros for durability? (evil)Jonas is right that Quaife makes
dog-engagement gearsets.

In any case, for any tranny that I know of, so long as the input shaft RPM
matches the pinion shaft RPM, you can shift in and out of that gear as much
as you want.

It's easier for upshifting. Try this, but don't blame me if anything goes
wrong. And don't be too forceful. Next time you are speeding up, say from
1st, rev up to your shift point (any RPM at all) and ease off the throttle.
Shift out of gear without pushing in the clutch (if the car is decelerating
due to drag this might be difficult). Immediately put slight pressure on
going into the next gear, and as the revs drop it should slip right in.
Practice, and next time your clutch cable snaps you'll save yourself $100 in
towing charges.

BTW, for downshifting, it is more difficult, as you need to blip the
throttle to get the RPM up high enough for the gear RPM's to match. But the
idea is still the same.

HTH,
Jonas