Re: That 16V in Kansas that wasn't as advertised

> I think that was Mike Vandamitbergh that BTDT and was pissed off.
>
> Shawn Meze

I was mainly pissed off at the fact that I wasted a whole entire weekend
meanwhile destroying the weekend of a good friend of mine who was nice
enough to come out with me so we could drive it back.

The guy selling the car was a nice guy who meant well, but didn't
realize he got screwed when he had bought the car.  He claimed to have
written up the advertisement exactly like the ad that he read before he
bought the car. It was a good running car and looked ok, but Suspension
Techniques springs are NOT H&R and stock swaybars aren't made by
Neuspeed.  :-)  He did mention he had never been underneath the car.  I
noticed the stock swaybars when checking out an exhaust leak in the
rear.

Either he really wasn't aware, or he was a really good actor and liar.
Judging by the kind of guy he seemed to be, I would say he was just
taken and didn't even realize until that day.  Ah well.  I also made
quite clear that I was driving half way across the country to come get
it and he really seemed to know what he was talking about on the phone.
I didn't realize until meeting him that he was a bit clueless.  He also
had a GTI VR6 that he had some funky plans for.

I'm kinda glad it worked out that way.  I ended up getting the turbo
Wabbit for $400 more than he was asking for that Scirocco.  :-)

I know for sure in the future I will have someone who is familiar with
the car to have a look at it before driving a long way.  Someone from
this list did volunteer to look at it after I posted looking for someone
to do that, but by the time I got the e-mail, my wife's uncle had
already looked at it for me.  He said it was a good car (which it was),
but naturally, he wasn't looking for items like aftermarket swaybars.

The guy wouldn't budge from $3300.  Without the toys he was advertising,
it just wasn't worth the money and he wouldn't budge from that.  It was
hard to leave it, but I did.

Mike