[Passat] Auto-manual conversion

Sorry about a slightly OT post (but it doesn't stray too far, methinks).  I
want to get rid of my Jeep because it sucks down too much gas (and it's LOUD
on the highway).  I want a Passat or an Audi 5000 or something like that.
What appears to be the cheapest thing for me to do is buy perhaps a B3
Passat with a bad AT and convert it to MT.  Is this something that can be
done fairly easily?  I think I would need the following:

-shifter/linkage
-clutch pedal or pedal cluster
-flywheel/clutch
-tranny

What trannies work in Passats?  Same as A-cars, or does the B-platform use
something else?  If it's the same, I assume they have larger drive flanges?
Is this even something worth tackling, or is it a big project that my wife
will think is a mistake?

Since this is kind of OT, off-list responses may be best.

TIA!
Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle