From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org [mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Dave Hellekson
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 10:29 AM
To: Lauri Pettai
Cc: 'roccolist
Subject: Re: [TECH] Polishing 1.8 16v head , information sources needed! (Resend)

Lauri,

I went with no less than a reputable tuner for a head to bolt on my balanced motor.  My 2.0 16v is capped with an Oettinger head that is ported/polished/flowed.  The clean up was worth 15hp on the dyno according to Techtonics Tuning here in the states.

Don't be in such a hurry for power that you make a costly mistake. Great head work is not cheap. Porting and polishing is not just about volume it is very much about flow also. Don't gamble on folks with no clue and no flow bench.  FYI the head cost me about $1000 brand new about 6 years ago. Since Oettinger is in Germany, I would think you would have a better chance locating one there.

Dave
88 TT2.0 16v

Lauri Pettai wrote:

Hi!

Lot of you have done this 2.0 16v conversions with 1.8 16v head.
I know that the main route to more power is correctly done headwork.
What I need is somebody from whom I can ask what and how it can
be done.

My problem is, that I need it to be done, but there's no flowbench of
any kind in Estonia, so I'll have to manage without one. I've spoked to
couple of local race engine builders and they speak against each
other. One says that the intake port must be smooth but not polished
the other one says that it must be polished as mirror to work and both
tell that the other guy is bullshitting me!? :( Third guy told me to
take couple of heads with me and go to Finland where there is flowbench
available.

The guys in Finland ask minimum 850$ for the headwork, but they warned
that they usually screw up couple of times before they succeed! :(((

Well, I have one head so I do not have the luxury to screw it up, I'll
better leave it as is, if I can't get this sorted out or get it done on
my own.

Lauri in his eternal guest for more power!
'84 1.8 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added something new to my site!