From: "Victor Farren" <vfarren@smtp.cdie.org>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 2:26 PM
Subject: [tech] metal headgasket 2L 16v question

Sorry if this has been posted twice, but I sent it earlier and it didn't
seem to go through.

My 2L 16v leaks at the back of the #1 cylinder even after replacing with
brand new headgasket and new stretch bolts.  No surprise here, just annoyed.

I have heard that using the ARP head bolts will cure the problem.  They have
been ordered.

I have also heard that using a metal headgasket can help solve the problem.
The thing is, when I asked the person who had done this, what kind of gasket
they were using, they didn't know; said it was 'generic.'

Soooo, does anyone know which it is?  G60, A3 2.0L 8v (will the 8v gasket
work on a 16v block?), other?

I also don't want the gasket to increase the compression ratio as the head
has already been shaved a little (.006 inch) and I might (praying I don't
have to) have to deck the block if it turns out it is warped, which I doubt.

I have heard that just using the ARP head studs with the stock gasket is
enough, but I am getting REAL tired of this damn leak and want to fix it
once and for all.

thanks,

Victor