Re: Tech/Alfa Romeo lifters

From: T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com>
>andkat wrote:
> >
>>Has anybody used the larger alfa lifters?  I think they are 35mm where the
>>volks are 32mm(?).  My lifter bores are a little bellmouthed so I would
>>like to bore them bigger and use the larger dia. lifters.  Someone also
>>suggested sleaving them,

>Do they weigh more than stock? Reciprocating Mass and all that.
>Other than your spec. situation, is there any performance reason to mod in
>this direction?

Sounds like Andy wants to keep his head (lots of expensive work/effort
perhaps) while "reconditioning" the lifter bores.

Aside from that, having larger lifters does have a performance benefit.
Larger lifters allow for larger cam lobe faces, and this will make a
difference in the allowable profile  of the cam, as well as stiffness of the
valve springs. With stiffer springs you can rev higher, and all that good
stuff. I doubt just switching to bigger lifters would make any difference by
itself, even if you had a custom cam designed to utilize the increased
surface area. There would need to be some serious head custom work to make
use of it.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0