Re: clutch recommend for 4K

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:34:30 EST VWMikeLVW@aol.com writes:

>Where does that magic number of 180 come from, anyway? Is that at the
>crank or the wheels? Is that just a stock 8v clutch, or like a 16v
clutch? I
>was gonna try a super set this time as the kevlar one just glazed up on
>me, and the 6 puck ate through the flywheel and pressure plate.

That's one of those "a zillion people who race them, build them or know
how to tear them up" data points. The HP number given to me is at the
crank.

Naturally it depends on how the clutch is used/abused. A bone stock
clutch That's holding 180hp the hard way will wear out pretty fast. Might
take a glazing easily too if its abused. (Which, most people who are new
to the power of 180hp typically do to a new clutch.) Ive seen clutch
disks explode with 60hp so sometimes it just depends on the clutch.

Application:
For powerful 8V and 16V cars the hot setup is a 16V pressure plate with a
stock Sachs 8v disc. (obviously a 16V disc for a 16V.) If one is fearful
that the clutch disc might come apart, Velocity has a 6 spring unit that,
im told, is very strong.

The sport clutch units are very ( I invented a new word!---> ) unstreet
friendly, very stiff to use and ive been told by some users which have
shared with me, don't last very long. (Exactly -->WHY, is one of my
questions.)

Also consider that the 190mm clutch setup is good enough to hold 130+hp
for hard autox use, then the 210mm has got to be good enough for 180hp.
:)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!