Re: U-joint shaft (steering)

To add to your confidence level on your mechanic, yes, he is wrong.  I
checked ETKA and indeed they are very different between P/S and Manual.  In
fact, we need to also swap the lower boots for the shaft (there are two
boots that cover the shaft; the top ones are identical on either system, but
the lowers are not).  In addition, I've got to get a seal for the pinion
shaft.  This is a hassle, but I guess it's worth it as you have to have the
type of steering that you find enjoyable.  I'll let you know how this
weekend goes at the scrapyard.

-PK

> The consensus seems to be that the u-joints are different.  I figured that
> they were, but I asked my mechanic friend while we were parting out the
'87
> 16V at his shop and he said they were the same.  He's not always right.
I'm
> 99.5% sure my u-joint will fit your car, because I've got a '79 u-joint
with
> an '84 rack and an '88 16V steering column.  I'm not in a big rush, so
Feb.