Re: tire rotation

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:03:00 -0800 "Brad Sterling"
<bgsterling@earthlink.net> writes:

>Now, I'll preface this with the statement that I don't or haven't
>auto-x'ed.
>However, I've read from various tire pros that you want your meatiest
>tires
>in the rear, regardless of whether the car is RWD or FWD.

Ive found that from a handling perspective in both a FWD and RWD car, it
doesnt matter. Where it does matter is helping the tires to wear evenly
thus, extending the tires life. Thats basically the bottom line. Do what
cha like, just dont whine when I beatcha in the autox cuz you got 2
corded tires and 2 tires that are  "like new".  :)

FWD the meaty tires go up front.
RWD the meaty tires go in the rear.

Drive axle tires always wear out fastest in a Solo2 environment.

> For auto-x'ing, I would expect the same to
>apply.  With a setup car, one that I would guess would be more neutral
>through sway bars, tire pressures, etc., would have its handling
>tweaked by having better tires on one end versus the other.

Its a VW. Its not a F1 car so its not sensative to tire wear differences.
Making the car handle can be made with other suspension and tire pressure
settings. Having a tire that is .003 taller up front really wont make a
bit of difference.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V     84' Scirocco 8V    88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!