Re: I bring home my christmas present to myself

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Allyn wrote:

> How did you make that tow bar? i may have to do a similar setup to get a
> scirocco to my place (1000 miles, argh, i'll do anything for a shell
hello allyn,

the tow bar was assembled as follows:

I got a tow bar for a VW bus from a friend whom abandoned it at my house,
it wasnt terribly suitable for a bus but worked great for the rocco...

heres the scoop (i'll try to put pix up in a few days)

2 steel pipes welded to a trailer ball hitch... like so...

======\\        (the == and \\ markings are the best i could do
       \\        to show that the tubing is slightly bent
         0     the 0 is where the hitch goes on the ball.)
       //
======//

Then on the bumper itself is bolted with 2 1/2 inch bolts a piece of steel
U channel for each side, so a total of 2 u channel brackets and 4 1/2 inch
dia bolts... the tubing is then bolted into this "bracket" with much
longer 1/2 inch diameter bolts (1 per side, 2 total) and double
nutted/greased.)

from top of bumper:
        ____
==============   <--- bracket
|     __|_|____________ <-- thick walled steel pipe to tow hitch
|_   |
| |  |
|_|  |
|    |_________________
|       | |
==============
       |____|
       |____| <--- double nutted for safety

the bracket is made of thick (1/8+) steel

What i plan to change, is that the bolts that run through the steel pipe
are just drilled holes, so the pipe cuts into the bolt, i plan to use a
smaller 1/2 inch id pipe or so to reinforce this making kind of a sleeve
for the bolt...

Hope that helps, a picture is worth 1000 words & i'll try to take some.

take care,

Steve