Insert Replacement

I an certain someone on this  list will be able to assist me on what might
seem like a rather simple (if not a  stupid question). I have to replace
both the front struts (with springs) and rear shocks on my  82 Scirocco. I
have seen both complete struts and inserts advertised. In the case of an
insert..how exactly does one replace this part of the strut? At first glance
it appears that the stock and  strut is a complete assembly with the shock
and assembly together as one . How do you remove the shock component from
the assembly. I know about the removal of the spring (with a spring
compressor) Once I know this, I may consider investing in a performance
insert and lower spring. Any information would be helpful.

Hawkman
82 8V (under restoration)