Re: MM Tech Procedure

Rob,
i posted this one a while back
---
the front and rear mounts are a piece of cake (be sure to leave them off for
when you do the
driver/passenger mounts, since the engine goes all over the place).
passenger side - remove all belts (including timing), unbolt mount from
frame while supporting under
oil pan with jack. raise engine to get to top bracket bolts, lower to get to
lower bolts. then lower
engine a bit more to get bracket out, replace after new mount pressed.
driver side - remove lower tie bar (so you can drop the engine enough to
clear bolts of frame),
remove battery, support tranny with jack, unbolt from frame, lower tranny
enough to slide bracket
retaining bolts out, remove ground strap, replace after new mount pressed.
---
also, if you want to diy the mount brackets:
---
i learned this trick over at Erics place. Hacksaw the mount from the inside
out (the metal on the
mount, not the bracket). Once you make it through the mount (hacksaw will
start sticking), tap it a
bit with a hammer and a punch, and it'll come right out (provided you made
it all the way through
the mount). now to get the new mount in, you'll need a vice (a GOOD vice,
like one made back in
1920), and 4 ratchet extensions. use the extensions, 2 on each side, to
space the mount away from
the vice, so you dont break the rubber of the mount by pushing on the center
pin. Put a bit of
grease around the lip of the mount before you start pressing. Line
everything up, start slow, make
sure the mount starts out evenly, then commence the gronk the living s@#*
out of the vice. you may
need a 3-4 foot pipe, and i hope the vice is on a sturdy, heavy table. once
its all in, you're good
to go. doing the driver and passenger mount brackets took under an hour
(getting the bracket on the
car is a totally different story, however).
---
hope it helps
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)