Re: C.V Shaft Question

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:20:06PM -0800, MrAudi wrote:

> The car is my new purchase 85 8v. I have changed these shafts before, but
> always with the hubs off. My question is: Do you have to unhook the lower
> ball joint and pull the hub away or will the shaft compress enough to remove
> it? The car is sitting in a gravel driveway and if I can do it without
> having to take alot apart I will be much happier. Thanks.

No need to unhook anything.  As others have said, first crank the wheel
all the way to one side. THEN, turn the wheel 1/4 to 1/2 turn back to
center.  Makes it even easier.  Also, if working on the driver's side
axle, put the gearshift in second gear. This moves the shift linkage out
of the way, so you can push the inner CV up there while removing the outer
from the hub.

Dan

--
Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!