Re: 2.0L 8v Questions

)

>My good fellow:
>As i'm sure you know, the JH and RD cylinder heads are
>almost identical except for one key feature... The RD
>head is Hydraulic.

I am fully aware of said facts.

Using the hydraulic head will allow
>one to utilize a knock sensing ignition system from
>say, an 85 golf gti.

So will a JH head. And for that matter so will a 1.7l head (with mods to the
block for the extra oil return).

With this setup, you can run your
>high compression ABA bottom end without worries of
>detonation. It is true that a JH head will work just
>fine, but it is also true that on that hot, summer
>day, under heavy load, detonation is always a risk,
>even with higher octane fuels.

It is only a risk if you have modified a car from stock without keeping in
mind certain engineering factors. I.E. head milling in excess of 40
thousandths.

Ever seen the results
>of a detonation damaged piston?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have one from a 2.0l Calloway turbo rabbit that I
built and the guy didnt notice his boost guage when he was under load and
pinged the engine into oblivion until it didnt run anymore. All due to a
vacuum line that popped off from rapid decel after high boost with throttle
plates closed.

A knock sensor system
>doesn't work well with a solid lifter engine due to
>it's confusing lifter clatter with detonation.

Lifter clatter that could POSSIBLY correlate with knock sensor readings
would be due to improper valve adjustment or worn tappet bores in the head.
In either case you would have to have a really fucked up head or really out
of whack valves to be able to confuse the knock sensor as it is located on
the block about 3" below the block deck height.

I hope
>this answers your question.

It does.

Happy dubbing and
>Christmas!

You too man! And to all the others out there Merry Christmas (or similar
greeting if you dont celebrate Christmas)

> > Chris DeLong
> > ICQ#45030867
> > Seattle, WA USA
> > '80 16V 'Rocco ragtop