Something about the best laid plans? (LONG)

Well, I crawled under the car to replace my exhaust manifold->downpipe
gasket, and that turned into looking at two big assed cracks in both tubes
of my *brand new* downpipe.  That turned into looking at my totally worn out
front motor mount.  Decided to replace that, removed the "cup" bracket on
the front cross member and the old rotted mount.  Noticed that there was no
way to get the new mount on without dropping the engine down a couple
inches.  Which turned into fighting with the left and right side motor mount
bolts.  Started dropping the engine, engine hung up on alternator on front
crossmember.  Looked at rear motor mount, decided to loosen it so alternator
would clear the front cross member.  Loosened, now engine is hung up on
passenger's side motor mount bracket.  Notice that rear motor mount is
totally destroyed, and l/r side mounts aren't much better.
Also notice that the engine is pretty much totally unbolted at the moment,
and that I am planning an engine swap in the next couple weeks anyways.
Which turns into me leaving the car on jacks, the engine hanging in the
breeze, and me deciding that putting snow tires on the Jetta wasn't such a
bad idea after all.

So, instead of a 15 minute exhaust fix, I have effectively taked the car off
the road for an engine swap.  All in the space of 3 hours, too.  Pretty
cool, huh?

Marc