Re: What's the black box right under the hood on the driver'sside?

For the CIS Lambda system used on the 8V engines, there are some simple tests (using a dwell meter and a 1.5v battery) described in the Bentley.  I suspect there are similar tests for the CIS-E (I guess you substitute an ammeter for the dwell meter)  These tests verifiy basic functionality of the box.

Bill
 Actually, there is no simple 'test' for those. It's because KE is not
 digital, so it can do no internal self checking. You have to put it on a
 special testing rig that goes through a 'simulation' of a working engine and
 puts it through all possible conditions, testing all inputs/outputs. I would
 imagine the only rig of this type would be at the bosch plant where they are
 made.
 Al