Re: Radiator options for MK1 16v

Here's what I did...

Back in the day when I did my conversion (April of 1991!) I just used my
stock 1981 Scirocco radiator. The only thing that had to be modified to use
this was to plug the hole where the overflow tank return was and I used a
diesel Rabbit upper radiator hose, cut to fit. I ran this set up until I
installed my 2.0.

Now, since I upgraded to the 2.0 engine my old 1981 radiator sprung a leak.
When I shopped around for a new one, I found a 1985 Convertable Rabbit
radiator. It is the exact same size as the 1981 radiator, but it does not
have the filler on the radiator, and it has the nipple for an overflow tank.
I also bought one of the round ball type over flow tanks, and then chiseled
a bracket for it out of a car in the junk yard.I then mounted it on the
passenger side of the engine compartment and routed the return for it into
the section where the water/oil cooler lines use to be hooked up. (I dumped
that a long time ago in favor of an external air/oil cooler.)

Viola!

-- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car) 15.114 @
91 MPH
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For Wife & Son)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)15.047 @ 94 MPH
Northern California, USA