Re: 81 S For sale (Vermont)

5 speeds were first available in 79 coupled to whatever engine they were
putting in the Scirocco at the time. 1.6 in 79 and 80, 1.7 in 81 and 82.
These were all wide ratio.
The close ratio box (2H or 4K) only came along with the 1.8 GTI engine.
I had one of the first 5 speeds in the US and I also had the distinction
of having one of the first ones to have a bearing fail right out of
warranty at 20K miles. SO...that means I was probably one of the first
to take one of these apart!  I know I beat the mechanics at the local
dealer.
Dan