Re: 170k mile 9a prep?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Joe Doty wrote:

> YES, please rebuild it while it is out of the car.  doing rods and mains are
> no problem when the engine is in the car, but honing is a lot easier when
> the block is out of the car.  Do yourself a big favor and spend the $200 or
> so now so it will be good for another 170k.
Hmm,

How does one do mains in the car? I didn't think it was possible?

reason being to remove the crank on has to remove the main seal &
flywheel/pressure plate inside the bellhousing, i guess it might be easier
to drop the tranny than the engine?

But, you are right on the freshening being a good idea, especially since
i've never heard this 9a run & dont know its history. Also, i probably
should replace the main seals, and once i'm that far, why not go "all the
way." (and this procedure isn't something i read about on the same website
as climbing that guys "tower".)

thanks,

Steve