Re: Pressure plate info

Buyer beware when you are ordering 16v pressure plates. I ordered one and
blew it up within 300 miles of use. Never mind the fact I was drag racing a
turbo talon on the street but at least I beat him. Back to the facts....After
I removed the brand new part to see what was making all that noise I found
out one of the straps had broken and chewed up my belhousing and flywheel.
Upon closer inspection with an old used pressure plate I see why the new one
broke so easily in my application. If you look close at the straps you will
see the old ones have 6 instead of 3 holding it together.
Now from doing a little research (some formal some not) I have come to the
conclusion that the original "real" 16v HD pressure plate has been
superceeded to the A3 8v type. Seems like now the salvage yard may be my PP
supplier from now on. I will most likely be getting an ACT actually for my
next clutch set up.

YMMV I tend to be hard on clutches and trannies this past year, besides the
above story I also broke a spring in my disc and locked a 4K in 4th gear.
Needless to say I am learning how to rebuild these this winter. I was told
that it is fairly rare to break these clutches actually.

Jasin
MK1 S