Re: voltage dropping... dropping...

    Inadequate cable would generate a voltage drop across itself. That would
mean that as the alternator tried to charge the battery, some voltage would
be lost along the way. This is directly proportional to current through the
wire, so the more of a load the battery is on the alternator (charging
harder), the greater the voltage drop on the wire would be, resulting in
less voltage left at the battery. The improtant thing to realize is that the
battery would still charge in the end. Think of a stream. The level of water
is the voltage. Your battery with the lower voltage is the end of the
stream. Water flows down from the nearby mountain (alternator), through the
stream (wiring), and finally to the lake (battery). Now if you park your
rally car in the stream, you have blocked it somewhat (high resistance
connection). The lake fills up slower, but it still fills up. Also of
important note: this same high resistance would cause voltage to go UP at
the alternator (it's doing LESS work), so i'm guessing your battery line is
just fine.
    As for a check, there is a bentley check on it. Voltage should be x at
3k rpm, etc. This check is designed to be at the alternator, but the bentley
probably has you check at the battery.
Hope this helps,
Allyn

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6) running - for now
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)