Re: g-lader

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Gary Huff wrote:

> Turbocharge it and do it right. Compared to a centrifugal compressor,
> g-laders are simply crap. you'll free up some crank HP, and digifant 2
> or whatever the G60's use is boost friendly and map based. Stuff about
> 15 psi of compressed air into a worked G60 motor and see what happens.
I agree,

I'm no guru, but from what i've read, turbo is much cheaper if you are
handy. (im gonna turbo a 16v too)

Basically the only extra charges with a turbo on a g-60 are (as far as i
can tell)

* the manifold @275
* junkyard t3 @50-100 (good up to 17 PSI, from volvo, saab, ford etc.)
* piping (fab yer own, probably $50 total)
* new ECU chip (dunno what those go for, maybe $175?)
* intercooler (you'd want a bigger one with a g-60 anyway, so $0 extra)

compared to the cost of one g-lader rebuild, I think turbo is the way to
go. even if you bought a new t3/t4 & manifold, that would still probalby
be less than replacing your g-lader if unrebuildable!

Some people use lysholm or mercedes blowers with good result, might not be
a bad idea there either... but i like turbo boost, a kick in yer pants at
3000 rpm :)

take care,

Steve