RE: Roll Cage rules ?

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> IMHO, a fast autocross car on DOT tires (i.e. Stock, SP, and SM) is
> influenced by four things, generally in this order:
>
> 1) Driver
> 2) Vehicle weight
> 3) Suspension design/balance
> 4) Horsepower
*snip*
> the horsepower factor. When you consider that SM vechicles are essentially
> limited to SP suspension rules and the same DOT tires, it becomes clear that

I guess that is my only disagreement really, from a physics perspective
that is... & as an amateur "modifier."

I would say that the SM rules give a lOT more leeway in suspension and
brakes than do SP. i think #3 is the big difference in SM.

Dont like your geometry in SP? there are a few tricks, but stock
a-arms and spidles must be used.  Dont like your geometry in SM? put
together your own a-arm, spindle, etc. make it out of titanium, if you
want. One of the changes to my 'rocco I was thinking of along these lines
was building new triangulated a-arms, and making them shorter from chassis
to hub so that when lowered your geometry isnt as hosed,(i/e shocks still
perpendicular to pavement at resting height) and they are stiffer & with
heim joints/spherical bearings  inboard. Being able to make your own
a-arms really allows you to design the suspension how you want rather than
be limited by as delivered.

Dont like your brakes in SP, change MC, bias or lines. Dont like your
brakes in SM? go buy a set of computer controlled 6 piston indy car brakes

Dont like your weight balance in SP, remove some interior panels. Dont
like your weight balance in SM? move the engine & transaxle toward
the firewall, as long as you dont cut the FW its allowed!

None of the above is against the 2001 rules as far as i can
read??? drivetrain unrestricted is a pretty big statement.

But, you are right, the weights would be a big handicap for SM. But, i can
see why they did that, the class is for street cars with interiors after
all :)

again, i'm not an expert, & am trying to apply this discussion to
sciroccos (especially since im building a SM scirocco II :)

take care,

Steve