famous personality at the autoX

Steel City Region (Pittsburgh)of the SCCA  ran an autoX this past Sunday at
a local airport.    A few hours into the event, state/county police were
pouring over the place, state police helicopters were circling the autoX,
men with binoculars were on the roof of the tower checking our EVERYTHING.
We had to stop running, and about 15 minutes later, a large  light blue
jet(claimed by those that know to be a 757 or 767) came into the airport.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was on the side, nothing elses.  The tail fin had a
HUGE American flag on it.  President Bush had come to the autoX to watch my
VW run!  er, well, he came to the airport at least.  A few hours later the
procedure happened again, police, helicopters, traffic stopped.  This time I
had some idea of what was going on, I headed over the the entrance to the
airport and after about half and hour, Pres Bush and the motorcade rolled
into the airport.  We walked around the tower to the roped off runway, and
watched as he and his wife and entourage got out of the motorcade and
climbed the steps to the plane, where they stopped and gave the obligatory
wave to the crowd.  I'm not a huge fan of Pres. Bush in general, but he is
THE PREZ,  leader of the freeworld, some respect is due, and man was it cool
to see the pres live and in person while attending an autoX near home.  I'm
more a patriot than I ever suspected as I was(still am) thrilled over the
whole deal.   Except for the fact that it made for the longest day of
autoXing ever, last run was at 7pm and I'd been there since 8:30AM,
collecting a hell of a sunburn.

As  a side note, you should see the Suburban-esque rides the secret service
uses in the presidential motorcade-very black, black windows, big wheels, I
can only imagine the firepower behind some of those window, probably enough
to handle nearly anything that can happen on a city street.   Probably
armored as well.  The whole motorcade eventually drives into a C130 and it
took off about two hours after the pres did.

A very cool day autoXing for me, just wanted to tell someone.

Andrew Stauffer
Cannondale Purchasing
www.cannondale.com
andrew.stauffer@cannondale.com