Re: Engine Mounts contd.

Ken Bates wrote:

> Alright, when I buy the side mounts for my 79, does it matter that it is the
> 16v motor going in when I order a part number?
> Pottermans site shows P/N 171199214D for the left side "...under the battery
> tray"
> and P/N 171199214K for the right side.  I am ready to order those if I can
> be sure they are still the right part for this conversion.
> Can I get a witness form the congregation?!
>
> Ken
> '79 Scirocco (soon to be 1.8 16v)
> "mcfly"
>
> --

Sir, the facts:

- 16v is a heavier motor. Plain stock 79 mounts wont do.
- Early early motors had a different sized mount/bracket diameter.
- Later A1 brackets (using the right sized mount) fit early chassis or
motors, vis a versa.
- HD (Heavy Duty) mounts are available. (Same as VW Motorsport???)
- Diesel mounts are HD too, better than stock, price is right.
- Poly mounts will increase buzz in the cabin as they transfer
vibrations, you may not care.
uh, uh...

- The RIGHT side is one you are most concerned about, the others, in
this order can be stiffer for performance- Front, trans side, rear in
terms of increased vibrations. So, no poly on the R. Side, but at lease
make it HD or better.

Running out of idle chatter about motor mounts. hth,
TBerk