Re: [tech] drivetrain probs. [return of]

this bastard kept me from taking my car to dubwar, dammit.

Okay, we looked at the clutch cable movement and it seemed to be pulling the
clutch release arm to its fullest extent.  So I ruled out (at the time) the
clutch cable, and proceeded to tear the trans of the engine.  There was
nothing amiss in the clutch region (dammit), but at least I found out that
my clutch was working properly and there were no loose bolts or anything
rolling around inside.

But at this point thought it might be possible that even though the clutch
cable looks like its pulling the arm to the fullest extent, it may not be
working when the clutch is actually being used.

is there any truth to this?  I'm looking for ANY reason to say that the
problem does not lie within the transaxle.

BTW, will any adjustable clutch cable work?  I know of a nice new one in the
junkyard on an A2 golf.

thanks,
Joe