Was stuck in 3rd gear

I posted about haveing a problem getting stuck in 3rd gear at least once
everytime i took the car out(and tried 3rd)  after changing linkage and
clutch cable and checking the engine mounts it still did it.  it obviosly
was something in the transmission(after removing the linkage I couldn't move
the shifter lever on the transmision).  I went away for a weekend last week
and since returning- third works every time I try now.  so what could have
been the problem.

-Mike
88 16v