Re: Fwd: (kinda long) Re: What's special about an S?

Doug wrote:
> I'm guessing these might have been optional as my first '81
> (non S) had both trunk carpet and dual mirrors.

Daun,
You are correct. :D
I have seen many Mk1 Scirocco's with rear cargo area carpet (just traded a
pre 78 set to Neil for a sweet old school radio).
The carpet was not an "S" or "Champagne" only thing but both of these models
came with the carpet.

Most all Mk1 Scirocco's (at least the 78-81) are set up to accept the
passenger side mirror. :)
I don't remember if it was an option or not but I have seen dual mirrors on
non-"S" and "Champagne" models.
You can check this by removing the door panel and reaching up inside the
door where it would mount.
You will feel the threaded nuts for the mounting screws.
All you have to do is use a long pointed tool (punch/awl), insert it through
each nut inside the door, tap on it from the inside, using this as your mark
drill the hole from the outside using progressively larger bits being
careful not to drill out the threads, cut the hole for the remote adjuster
to go through, and install the mirror.
The sheetmetal on the door where the door card mounts to should also have
the hole for the adjuster to mount to.

Ok, so I got a little off track with that tech tidbit :D

Randy