Re: was Bad Monday Morning, now Dumbass Ron

(seems like Yahoo bombed and trashed my first reply)

First, thanks to the many who replied, both on the list and b/c.

To keep it short, the problem was the filter gasket.  Seems my tendency
to under-tighten oil filters caught up with me.  Cost me a pan full of
Mobil 1 (grrrrr).  New oil and filter and back on the road.  Love that
Purple Power for cleanup!

Did a compression check too, all cyls were 165-175 dry.  That's damned
good for 145K miles +.   I tried again liberally oiling them and they
were off the scale (300 psi +).  WTF?  Musta added too much oil or
cranked too many times.  Open throttle, no plugs.  No worries.

Gotta admit I was skeptical since all the replies pointed to the filter
gasket or the heat exchanger gasket.  I figured that the substantial
power loss was due to a compression loss.  Bad assumption, good
outcome.

Downside is I have no excuse for mods.  Upside is it costs less, is on
the road, and I stay married.

Thanks, beers for all replies, love this list.

Dumnbass Ron