Correct me if I'm mistaken please

Ok, I've ordered plenty of VW parts from places all over the US. I went to pottermans new site looking for some bilsteins, and I decided to order a set. I added them to my "trunk" and noticed a 36$ tax.... what's up with that? I've never been hit with tax from ordering before. If i'm mistaken or in the wrong somehow, let this be a public apology right now for stirring up a slight negative interest. But I reside across the US. Am I retarded or something? I thought tax on transactions like this was only applied when residing in the same state of purchase..If a law changed or something and im unaware, and in the wrong, excuse me again :) What's the dilly?
	-ghuff