Re: Which Master Cylinder?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:30:25 -0400 "Casey Webster" <tinfool@home.com>
writes:

> > I believe the front brakes on an 87 16V GTI are only 9.4".
> > If you want 10.1" for the front you need the brakes from 16V
> Scirocco.
> > There are other later models that might work, Quantum, Audi,
> ect... (don't know which years or models)
>
> Well....hmmmm.....this car may have possibly been newer than 87
> because it did have 10.1 brakes.  (I compared them to a rabbit and they
were
> bigger)  I picked up the whole front setup (Including MC, front
spindles,
> calipers and carriers, and all the rust that came with it) for about
$20 CDN, so
> I'm not gonna complain.  The only reason I didn't get the brake booster
is
> cause it started to rain and I also didn't have a 15mm wrench with me.
>
> Anyways.....I guess I could try the current master cylinder with the
> bigger brakes and rear discs.   The car is still an automatic 1.6L at
the
> moment.
>
> Casey
> 84 Roc
> 78 Bunny

$20 CDN is ~$12US, IMMIC, wow what a deal!

If they are 10.1"/256mm brakes, somebody put them on car, because AFAIK
all the A2 GTI's came with 9.4" from the factory.

Quantum Syncros, Passats, late 16V GLi's, and 16V Sciroccos came with
10.1"/256mm front brakes.

Btw, they stock M/cyl should be fine, if not just try a new M/cyl, it
worked for me...

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -Techtonics, Autotech & Peloquin Discount
Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701
                                                           '79 Scirocco
16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red