electrical issues?

So I've been driving my 16v for months now without incident; So the
other day I decided to get my A/C recharged (something i should have
done the day I got it). Anyways last night I was driving and out of
nowhere my stereo powered off and the temperature overheat light started
flashing for a couple seconds. It stopped as quickly as it started, and
I turned the stereo back on, worked fine. I didn't notice any else go on
during that, no decrease in performance or anything. Then later that
night it happened again. When i turned on the A/C, the overheat light
blinked on a few times, but the stereo was unaffected. Any ideas? Thanks
in advance! I'm about to leave for a long trip and i don't want this to
be any sort of issue.

-Tollef
Wakka, Wakka, Wakka!