Re: Tranny question for someone who is unenlightened.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:39:17 -0700 "Langford, Cory"
<Cory.Langford@icbc.com> writes:

> Okay,
>
> I don't do tranny work.  Trany goes, I simply drop it and put in
> another (they are really cheap used).
>
> So excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering exactly what a Bolt Kit
> does in the tranny.

The bolt kit replaces the rivets, that hold the ring gear to the
differential.

The bolt kit ensures that you won't have any broken rivets flying around.

> I have access to a couple and they have a wide 5th with bolt kit, so
> what does this give me?  Simply stronger?

Yes, it makes it more durable...

> Also what are the options for limited slip (besides the quaife) that
> actually work with out causing problems?
>
> tia..
>
> Cory

The only alternative to the Quaife, that I know of, is the Peloquin
limited slip kit, which requires an '84 and up 020 and 100mm axles.

I have the 80% kit in my 4K on the '79, and it will spin both tires if I
pop the clutch, but you have to try to get them to spin.
I don't have any wheel spin, with normal spirited driving, and it cuts
down on torque steer also.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Techtonics, Autotech & Peloquin Discount
Dealer - Bear, DE 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red