Re: Tranny question for someone who is unenlightened.

Early VW 020 trannies had rivets attaching the ring gear to the
differential.  These rivets were somewhat soft, and could work loose.
When one loosens, it stresses the others accellerating their demise,
and you may have a catastrophic failure.  Some bad things could happen
(someone else chime in on the odds) The rivet could bounce around and
get between the ring and pinion teeth;) it could get caught between the
ring gear and gearbox case, grinding a hole it in ; or other rivets
could let go too letting the ring gear flop around, again grinding a
hole in the case.

The bolt kit replaces the rivets with bolts and are supposed to be much
stronger.

In addition, the shaft that holds the spider gears in place was not
sufficiently secured (axially), and it would sometimes slip out and
totally wreck the tranny case.  This is why bolt kits come with snap
rings, to hold this is place securely as it should have been done from
the factory (SLAP for one VW engineer).

Do a search on SMS or Self Machining Syndrome, there are some photos
out there (BSI's site?) and better explanations.

Installing a bolt kit requires 100% teardown of the tranny.

The wide 5th has nothing to do with the bolt kit, 5th gear hangs off
then end of the 020 tranny and is pretty easily accessed.

Other choices for a limited slip are from Peloquin and Velocity.

HTH

Ron